Friday, August 10, 2012

Pete Souza - Personal photographer to Barack Obama

Today I watched a documentary on the personal photographer of U.S President, Barack Obama. His portraits strike a chord with me as I relate these photos closely to the interest in portrait painting I have. It's these close personal moments Souza captures, moments of love with his family and moments of tension in congress, that are key to the recording of history. And that's a huge thing! History! President Nixon HATED being photographed and in his resignation speech he told his photographer Ollie to get out of the room as only the CBS crew were allowed to be there, on his command. The job of documenting these people, these Presidents, is massive and I couldn't imagine the pressure. I have a huge interest in portraits, not exactly posed portraits but just natural, unposed, mid baby kissing shot...

...like this one, only he's not kissing him cos the tiny baby's hair might take out his eye.


...Holy crap, I die of cuteness.


Tiny, running baby.

I suggest watching this doco if you so feel inclined!
American politics is not just a personal interest I have, I lived in Rochester, Minnesota in my younger years and my family continues to live there. American politics, the leaders, the people, the situation of the country is- whether I like it or not - close to my heart.

The Obama White House: Through The Lense
National Geographic
Produced, directed, and filmed by Peter Schnall

No comments:

Post a Comment