Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Claire Bishop is a baddass, who can write a sweet article.

"In other words, relational art works seek to establish inter subjective encounters (be these liberal or potential) in which meaning is elaborated collectively rather then in the privatized space of individual consumption."
-Claire Bishop, Antagonism and Relational Aesthetics


I think this has a ton to do with what I've been thinking about recently in terms of blogging, and sharing of information. This is a research blog, to show what I'm reading, what I'm looking at, to back up my folders and research for Studio II. I post things that I read, watch, listen to, experience, but I also post things that I want to share with others, most of which are in my year group who may, or may not, be interested in what I have found while researching. 

Firstly, I made my blog public- not private so that only those I choose are allowed to see - and I did this because this act of making my blog private, reminded me of deliberate exclusion or withholding of collective information. I deliberately made it public so that those who wanted to share, take part in discussion or simply just read any articles I put up, can.

What am I but a speck in the blogisphere; a tiny, talking page with a follow number of 9. But this is not my first time in the blogging world; I made my first blog in mid-2009, my last year of High School. The two blogs, one on Blogspot and one on Tumblr, were purely aesthetic I think. I posted and re-posted photographs, drawings, music I liked from other blogs I'd trip over, from time to time. I enjoyed the collage of images most. If you press the archive button in Tumblr, all the images you've posted over the month and the previous months, mix between themselves, and I enjoyed the colour, the imagery, my interests all in one space.

But blogging for me has come a long way and the more I think about it, the more this blog has the potential to have been an ongoing work of mine since mid July, when we were told to start them.

Since a conversation with MJ last week, I've been thinking more about, and reading more about Relational Aesthetics (probably to Fiona's utter dismay). I came across Claire Bishop's text, Antagonism and Relational Aesthetics, I'm currently half way through the text, but needed to get some of these ideas out before they pummeled into nowhere land.

You can find Bishop's text here

No comments:

Post a Comment